reworked clip on earrings / diy

I come across piles of clip on earrings that I don't have the guts to wear.

here are some very simple steps to transform clip on or screw back earrings into wearable post earrings...

you will need:

1. pliers or cutters or both
2. glue -- I use 6000
3. earrings to transform
4. a work surface you don't mind getting a bit dirty/gluey
5. sand paper
6. metal file
7. earring posts with backs
8. something to apply glue to a tiny surface -- I used a safety pin

diy:

step 1:
remove the clip on or screw back portion of the earring. I achieved this by using my pliers to bend the metal back and forth until it broke off -- I also could have dug out my cutters

step 2:
file down the rough bits left behind from removing the clip on mechanism -- this is where the metal file came in handy. I wasn't terribly worried about filing the remaining metal all the way down -- just until it was smooth and the metal wasn't visible from the front of the earring

step 3:
use sandpaper to rough up the area where you will be attaching the post

step 4:
apply glue to pad of post earring. for this instance I was attaching the pad of the earring post to a dome on the back of the former clip on earrings so I used sterling silver ear posts with a cupped pad. A safety pin was pointy enough to apply a tiny bit of glue to fill the cupped pad of the ear post

step 5:

apply glue pad to desired placement on back of earring -- this is your final chance to make adjustments

step 6:

allow earrings to dry overnight in an area where they won't fall over