triangle necklace in brass / diy

last week I realized that most of my diy projects are motivated not by my creative inner workings but instead by the voice inside of me that says 'I can make that.' 

I guess that's how I feel about trendy triangle necklaces -- I'd rather make it than buy it. As with any diy project there's an initial investment in supplies and tools. I buy supplies like chain, jump rings, and clasps in bulk (I've linked to my supply resources) so that when I feel motivated to make something I don't have to order all of the pieces of the puzzle. *I use nickel-safe brass so that it won't turn my skin funny colors

what you'll need:
1. brass triangles like these -- I had these ones lying around the house. they weren't ideal for the project because they had holes in the wrong place. you could easily source triangles with the correct holes
2. brass lobster style clasps (here)
3. brass jump rings (here)
4. brass chain (here)
5. metal hole punch (here)
6. needle nose pliers (here)
7. wire cutters (here)


step 1:
punch holes in the correct places

step 2:
use pliers to connect triangles with jump rings.

step 3:
decide how long you want your necklace to be and cut the appropriate amount of chain. I used 16" of chain (two 8" segments) and created a very long necklace that slips over my head

step 4:
use pliers to attach clasp with jump rings

step 5:
use pliers to connect chain to triangle segment
   

[optional] step 6:
add something cute to hang from the already-punched holes. I used vintage crystal beads on headpins. you could add whatever strikes your fancy. I saw these while browsing and thought they'd be adorable on this necklace